Why Ulysses is Awesome

I started writing my last post on my iMac but because Apple Photos is a bit … finicky with the iCloud syncing a screenshot I had taken on my iPad wasn’t there.

No fear, just keep writing in Ulysses, then move from the iMac to the iPad and drop the image in. It worked, no problems no fuss. It just works.

Now, if only iCloud would just work …

Setting up the site with SSL

I’ve written about my migration from Squarespace to WordPress earlier this year. One thing I lost with that migration when I went to WordPress in AWS was having SSL available. While I’m sure Van Hoet will “well actually” me on this, I never could figure out how to set it up ( not that I tried particularly hard ).

The thing is now that I’m hosting on Linode I’m finding some really useful tutorials. This one showed me exactly what I needed to do to get it set up.

Like any good planner I read the how to several times and convinced myself that it was actually relatively straight forward to do and so I started.

Step 1 Creating the cert files

Using this tutorialI was able to create the required certificates to set up SSL. Of course, I ran into an issue when trying to run this command

chmod 400 /etc/ssl/private/example.com.key

I did not have persmision to chmod on that file. After a bit of Googling I found that I can switch to interactive root mode by running the command

sudo -i

It feels a bit dangerous to be able to just do that (I didn’t have to enter a password) but it worked.

Step 2

OK, so the tutorial above got me most(ish) of the way there, but I needed to sign my own certificate. For that I used this tutorial. I followed the directions but kept coming up with an error:

Problem biding to port 443: Could not bind to the IPv4 or IPv6

I rebooted my Linode server. I restarted apache. I googled and I couldn’t find the answer I was looking for.

I wanted to give up, but tried Googling one more time. Finally! An answer so simple it couldn’t work. But then it did.

Stop Apache, run the command to start Apache back up and boom. The error went away and I had a certificate.

However, when I tested the site using SSL LabsI was still getting an error / warning for an untrusted site.


OK … take 2

I nuked my linode host to start over again.

First things first … we need to needed to secure my server. Next, we need to set up the server as a LAMP and Linode has this tutorial to walk me through the steps of setting it up.

I ran into an issue when I restarted the Apache service and realized that I had set my host name but hadn’t update the hosts file. No problem though. Just fire up vim and make the additional line: milo

Next, I used this tutorial to create a self signed certificate and this to get the SSL to be set up.

One thing that I expected was that it would just work. After doing some more reading what I realized was that a self signed certificate is useful for internal applications. Once I realized this I decided to not redirect to SSL (i.e. part 443) for my site but instead to just use the ssl certificate it post from Ulysses securely.

Why go to all this trouble just too use a third party application to post to a WordPress site? Because Ulysses is an awesome writing app and I love it. If you’re writing and not using it, I’d give it a try. It really is a nice app.

So really, no good reason. Just that. And, I like to figure stuff out.

OK, so Ulysses is great. But why the need for an SSL certificate? Mostly because when I tried to post to WordPress from Ulysses without any certificates ( self signed or not ) I would get a warning that my traffic was unencrypted and could be snooped. I figured, better safe than sorry.

Now with the ssl cert all I had to do was trust my self signed certificate and I was set1

  1. Mostly. I still needed to specify the domain with www otherwise it didn’t work.

Switching to Linode

Switching to Linode

I’ve been listening to a lot of Talk Python to me lately … I mean a lot. Recently there was a coupon code for Linode that basically got you four months free with a purchase of a single month, so I thought, ‘what the hell’?

Anyway, I have finally been able to move everything from AWS to Linode for my site and I’m able to publish from my beloved Ulysses.

Initially there was an issue with xmlrpc which I still haven’t fully figured out.

I tried every combination of everything and finally I’m able to publish.

I’m not one to look a gift horse in the mouth so I’ll go ahead and take what I can get. I had meant to document a bit more / better what I had done, but since it basically went from not working to working, I wouldn’t know what to write at this point.

The strangest part is that from the terminal the code I was using to test the issue still returns and xmlrpc faultCode error of -32700 but I’m able to connect now.

I really wish i understood this better, but I’m just happy that I’m able to get it all set and ready to go.

Next task … set up SSL!